Our client, a reinsurance company is looking to hire a Regional Head of Claims. This position manages an inventory consisting primarily of claims with higher loss potential and complexity, and commensurate reserving, settlement authority, reinsurance reporting requirements, as well as claims of lesser exposure or severity as dictated by the need f the department. Investigates, evaluates and settles claims within designated authority.
- Proactively managing advised claims from notification to closure, committing the effort required for each claim depending on, among other things, the nature, category, complexity, type and quantum of the claim according to best practices, methodologies and tools for claims analysis and Continental Re guidelines.
- Based on details of each claim advice, ensuring that claims are immediately booked and that adequate claims reserves are set and maintained on the SICs system according to Client’s Reserving Philosophy and guidelines and best practices, methodologies and tools for case reserving.
- Reviewing, on a quarterly basis, individual claims within the portfolio and keeping case reserves and records up to date on the SICs system.
- Identifying issues and trends (both positive and negative) in the claims portfolio and advising underwriters to take necessary corrective action.
- Keeping Underwriters and Risk advised of any major claims as set out in the Underwriting and Claims Manual and procedures and working with the Retrocession team to advise retrocessionaires, keeping them updated to effect timely recoveries.
- Attending client meetings, where requested to explain the client’s claims philosophy and approach to claims handling and interacting with clients to resolve any claims issues.
- Providing claims experience input to underwriters on review of potential or existing business and providing feedback on claims trends and developments and their potential impact on the book.
- Where required, identifying professional third-party consultants e.g. loss adjusters and legal counsel to assist in the adjusting and resolution of claims.
- Monitoring the claims portfolio through the conduct of quarterly file reviews or audits to ensure that all outstanding requirements are followed up in accordance with our review procedure.
- Suggesting improvements to wordings and terms to manage risks and/or capture opportunities
- Observing and operating within the approved claims authority at all times.
▪ The candidate should hold an ACII qualification and have at least ten years’ general (re)insurance experience
▪ Diverse experience of insurance company management and a track record of delivering service excellence.
▪ The incumbent will demonstrate a proficient knowledge of current tort law and case law trends with respect to casualty lines of business, civil procedure, insurance policy(s) and contract(s).
▪ Must demonstrate good written and oral communication skills.
▪ Must be organized and possess strong follow-up skills.
▪ Requires the ability to analyze and apply creative solutions to claim issues.
▪ Proven critical thinking skills that demonstrate analysis/judgment and sound decision making with focus on attention to details
▪ Strong negotiating skills, excellent telephone, written and verbal communication skills are essential.
▪ Possesses and regularly demonstrates objectivity and pragmatism as well as strong conflict resolution skills
▪ Ability to manage total loss cost outcomes to achieve superior results for our clients, stakeholders and the company
▪ Incumbent must be aware of and follow guidelines concerning confidentiality.
▪ The position communicates with legal and other professional personnel, third party claimants, policyholders, producers, Re/Insurers, and senior level staff throughout the company.
▪ Demonstrated capability for working with a high level of independence
▪ Ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment
▪ Positive approach, can-do attitude, flexibility and ability to operate with professional grace under pressure
▪ Ability to model and uphold appropriate professional boundaries in work with member-parties
▪ Collaborate with other staff members and external partners
▪ Interest and commitment to the mission of the organization
▪ Commitment to inspired service
▪ Unwavering Professional and Ethical disposition.