Location: Victoria Island, Lagos State.
Our client a leading medical diagnostic company is looking for a competent and qualified Medical Laboratory Scientist (Histo-Scientist). The candidate will be responsible for processing histological and cytological specimen for pathologist and clinicians to diagnose, treat and prevent diseases.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs histological and cytological processes, reviews and verifies results and interacts with pathologists on technical matters to provide all relevant data that may pertain to the prevention, diagnosis or treatment of diseases.
- Operates and maintains the equipment used in the laboratory to ensure that it is operating efficiently and providing accurate results. This includes recording instrument maintenance and quality control results as well as recognising and resolving problems by troubleshooting mal-functioning equipment and taking corrective action.
- Implements sound housekeeping procedures and work effectively with others as a member of a team to ensure a safe working environment in accordance with safety protocols. This includes the on-going maintenance of quality control standards, adherence to infection control measures, correct disposal of bio-hazardous waste and participation (as per delegated responsibilities) in the preparation process for internal and external audits.
- Adheres to all ministry of health protocols as regarding infections disease testing, sample handling and reporting.
- Reports incidents, including instrument failures, problem solutions and reads documents and actions tasks on the laboratory information management system in compliance with relevant organisational policy.
- Attends training and seminars and participates in continuing professional development (CPD) activities to continuously update knowledge and skills as well as comply with professional registration requirements. This includes ensuring the availability of up to date records that can be presented immediately on request thereof.
- Performs on-site training of laboratory staff, interns, students, medical colleagues and associated health workers in laboratory techniques, processes and systems, if assigned by laboratory manager and deemed competent.
- Adheres to professional conduct requirements in line with organisational policy and relevant professional body ethical standards.
- Represents the organisation by applying the principles of customer care in the medical pathology field and interacts professionally and ethically with patients, clients, doctors and other hospital staff.
- The medical lab scientist should preferably have at least 1 to 5 years working experience in a pathology laboratory environment.
- Certification in good clinical laboratory practice (GCLP) and basic health and safety are desirable.
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology relevant to medical pathology;
- Knowledge of medical ethical guidelines in the medical pathology fields;
- Knowledge of all laboratory standard operating procedures and processes;
- Knowledge of all organisational policy and procedures;
- Knowledge of laboratory information systems;
- Absolute attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a pressured environment, prioritise urgent matters and handle stress;
- Ability to work as part of a team and influence colleagues positively;
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information;
- Problem solving;
- Rule orientation; and
- Hand-eye co-ordination