Our client, an authentic Montessori school with over 10 years of existence, fostering on the journey of discovery and growth of children from 16 months to 6th grade with French Immersion in a specially prepared environment designed to advance independence, curiosity, imagination, integrity, respect, and responsibility, is seeking to engage a Head of School who will be responsible for the effective general management of the School, ensuring the provision of academic leadership and strategic vision, and premium quality of the student experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Executive Administration: Oversees the daily overall operation of the school, administrative staff and office functions; Conducts daily “walk abouts” to observe teachers and students in action, connect quickly with parents serving in various roles, redirect student behavior, and help ensure safety of all; Actively engages with teachers, students, parents and staff to understand and proactively manage issues and concerns before they escalate. Communicates openly and frequently with appropriate Board committees and involved parties to ensure all are aware of issues.
- Parents and Community: Reinforces school vision, mission and core values, at Parent Enrichment Nights in order to strengthen community understanding of and commitment to the school; Together with the administrative office, educates parents about the Montessori Pedagogy; Encourages, counsels and parents’ topics related to pertinent aspects of their children’s growth and development; Maintains an open door policy to ensure parents feel welcome to discuss ideas and concerns; holds periodic Parent Coffees.
- Curriculum and Program: Remains connected to current educational research and collaborates with faculty to implement evidence based principles into the curriculum and overall program; Continually implements and also enriches established curriculum for each Grades; Frequently evaluates strengths and weaknesses of current curriculum and program with appropriate faculty; provides leadership and support for the development and implementation of new curricular components and programs as necessary.
- Staffing: Dealing with staff recruitment matters that fall within the remit of the School; Creating a supportive working environment for all staff in the School; Ensuring that staff review and development is completed in a timely manner; Completing probation reviews with all newly appointed academic staff; Allocating duties to staff within the School and the management of staff in accordance with School policies and procedures.
- Staff Development: Possesses the gifts and experience to build a high performing team and to effectively lead and mentor a dedicated, energetic faculty; Designs and leads weekly trainings during faculty development meetings on topics such as effective classroom management, lesson design and implementation, assessment methods, and differentiated instruction.
- Students Development: Ultimately responsible for managing the academic and intellectual progress of students and regularly reviews student assessment data with teachers; When appropriate, teaches academic content alongside or in place of faculty members (e.g., seminar); Articulates and helps enforce school- wide student behavioral expectations; Responsible for student disciplinary decisions, in collaboration with the Enrollment Committee.
- Organizational Leadership: As a non-voting member of the Board, provides key status updates and collaborates with the Board to refine long term strategic plans and establish policies and processes to accomplish the mission of the School; As Lead Educator and Administrator of the school, help the teachers, staff, parents and students to understand, embrace, and implement the school’s mission; Provides visible, relational, and spiritual leadership for the faculty, students, and overall school community.
- Strong academic record and standing
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in teaching (be at a professorial level – although skills and aptitude will be more important)
- Previous experience as a Head of School or in a similar role
- Knowledge of school administrative processes and national educational regulations
- A teaching license is preferred
- Degree in Education; Master’s degree is a plus
- AMI certified (desirable)
- Attention to detail
- Great presentation and communication skills
- Ability to coach and inspire
- Hands-on experience with MS Office and education management systems
- Crisis management
Remuneration is attractive.